FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know about using magnetic tapes and sheets?
Table of Contents
In our online shop you can find a broad assortment of magnetic tapes and magnetic sheets:
Buy magnetic tape / magnetic sheet
Buy magnetic tape / magnetic sheet
Areas of applicationMagnetic tapes and sheets are used on ferromagnetic surfaces. Here are some suggested applications :
- Flexible labelling of storage and store shelves as well as metal cupboards and drawers (with coloured magnetic tape or magnetic labels)
- Combination of two non-magnetic objects with self-adhesive magnetic tape
- Coloured cut-out shapes, e.g. on whiteboards as part of presentations and trainings (especially coloured magnetic sheet)
- Protection for colour-coded statistics and process directives with magnetic frames
- Invisible photo mounting with self-adhesive magnetic dots or self-adhesive magnetic sheet
Proximity to other magnets
Magnetic tapes and magnetic sheets can lose their magnetisation near magnets. Therefore, always keep a distance of at least 30 mm between neodymium magnets and tapes/sheets during use, storage and transport. For ferrite magnets and tapes/sheets, we recommend a minimum distance of 10 mm. You can find additional information on required distances in the table below.
These minimum distances between the various magnet types need to be maintained during use, storage and transport:
|Ferrite||Neodymium||AlNiCo||Tapes and sheets|
|Ferrite||-||22 mm||10 mm||10 mm|
|Neodymium||22 mm||-||43 mm||30 mm|
|AlNiCo||10 mm||43 mm||-||10 mm|
|Tapes and sheets||10 mm||30 mm||10 mm||-|
For calculating the adhesive force of magnetic tapes and sheets, please read the following FAQ: How strong is the adhesive force of a magnetic tape and sheet?
Working temperatureTemperatures below -20° C and above 85° C damage the structure of magnetic tapes and magnetic sheets. It causes the products to permanently lose part of their adhesive force. Therefore, do not use them in places with extremely high or low temperatures.
Self-adhesive magnetic tapes and sheetsSeveral of our magnetic taps and sheets are self-adhesive. Our FAQ about self-adhesive products provide helpful information on these articles.
StorageTapes and sheets can be stored at room temperature. Make sure the surroundings are dust-free and dry and do not bend the products. Sheets and tapes do not lose their magnetisation without external influences (neodymium magnets in close proximity, temperatures over 85° C and under -20° C).
Outdoor useMagnetic tapes and sheets don't rust, so they are also suitable for outdoor use. However, exposure to UV rays can make the material brittle and crumbly. You can expect having to replace the material from time to time.
Edges of magnetic tapes and sheets leave black stains. That is especially true for cutting areas. Unfortunately, this cannot be prevented. Therefore, use caution on light or delicate surfaces. You can easily wash stains off your hands with water.
- Material: Elastic rubber with embedded magnetised strontium ferrite powder (Features of ferrite). Since 2016 we also offer some tapes and sheets made of neodymium (Feature of neodymium).
- Pollutants: All products are compliant with RoHS directive
- Chemical resistance:
Problem-free: Water, alcohol, standard detergents, climatic influences. Problematic: Acids, oils, hydrocarbons
- Coating: (Where applicable) Coloured PVC
- Magnetisation: anisotropic or isotropic
- Surface hardness: Shore D35 (equivalent to Shore A85 - A90)
- Max. flexibility: At 20° C room temperature rollable up to 12,7 mm diameter
- Density: 3,3 - 3,6 g/cm3
- Workability: Handling with machines and standard cutting tools
- Working temperature: -20° to +85° C